zondag 27 september 2009
Terugtocht
We have climbed some beautiful mountains in the time that we were here. Especially the last days were very good, with beautiful views and great weather. Currently, we are on our way back, having enormous roadblocks on our way to Joshimath. We continued our trip by bus to Delhi, where we are now in a restaurant, after which we will sleep at the IMF. We hope to arrive in the Netherlands this week. We already would like to thank all of you for your reactions and other messages!
maandag 21 september 2009
Groen
We knew upfront that all signals had to be green simultaneously in order for us to (as safely as possible) climb Kalanka. Unfortunately this was never the case this year: Some remained red or others became red after a while. So in order to enjoy the rest of our time while being surrounded by beautiful mountains and with good weather, we climbed another mountain yesterday in a neighbouring valley. This was great.
donderdag 17 september 2009
Toppoging of niet?
Van dichtbij bleek ook de wand jammergenoeg niet optimaal in conditie, want er bleek vooral heel veel (losse) sneeuw in te zitten, maar heel weinig ijs. Helaas voelden we ons inmiddels ook al zo vermoeid, dat toen we vanochtend gingen sporen bleek dat dit al niet eens voor iedereen te doen was. Balen zeg, zeker nu het vandaag zulk mooi weer is! We zijn nu terug gegaan naar BC en hebben onze toppoging moeten staken. We weten nog niet of er een andere mogelijkheid komt.
Up to the top! After some more snow we have had two days of beautiful weather, so the snow could 'set'. We went to ABC, but when we arrived, the snow appeared to have distroyed one of our tents completely. After having spent much time on digging them up, we spent an awful night at ABC.
Up close we could see the wall, which appeared to be very white; unfortunately primarily covered in snow instead of the necessary ice. Additionally, we appeared too tired anyway to even be able to spur up the first part of the mountain, after leaving ABC. That's a bummer, especially with such nice weather. So we went back tot BC after cancelling our summit attempt. It's uncertain if we'll have another chance.
zaterdag 12 september 2009
Mooi weer op komst
Daar moeten we onze materialen controleren, want er is daar mogelijk wel wat sneeuw gevallen. Jaren geleden zijn we zo eens wat materiaal verloren, maar dat zal nu wel meevallen. In elk geval hebben we vanuit ABC ook goed zicht op de wand en kunnen we een plan maken. Daarna, woensdag of donderdag, zijn we dan van plan de toppoging te beginnen en omhoog te gaan, waarbij we hopelijk dat weekend de top zullen bereiken en twee dagen later weer terug in ABC zijn. Dat is nu het plan. Eindelijk actie!
Yeah, the weather is great now! The sun is shining and we were able to wash some of our stuff in our own little river. We are fully rested and prepared to start our summit attempt by the end of the week! It appears that the weather forecasts are good and the monsoon will finally really retreat. The cyclone of last week was weakened by the time it hit our site, but it did bring heavy rains and snow, and a lot of wind. But now we face some good and stable weather. This means that we will first have to let the snow on the mountain ‘set’ (rest) in order to limit the chances of avalanches, and then we will head towards ABC.
There we will check all of our materials, as there might be some snow there and some years ago much snow at ABC has caused loss of materials. From ABC we can see the face clearly and make our plans. After that, on Wed or Thu, we aim for the top, which we hope to reach on Sat or Sun, and be back in ABC two days later. That’s our plan for now. Finally, some action!
vrijdag 11 september 2009
Riviertje
The heavy rains of the last days (or better, weeks) have resulted in us having our own private river in BC. The mountain was fully out of sight because of the clouds and the bad weather. Well, just to wait around and get some rest before we can go up is all we can do for now.
zondag 6 september 2009
Cycloon op komst
We are in BC again and had planned to do some extra acclimatization the next days, because the weather will not change much. But... A cyclone appears to be approaching us from the Bay of Bangal. It will not pass us, but will bring a lot of (additional) rain, so we will stay in BC, until better forecasts come our way. Well, waiting is part of the deal. But, if the weather changes for the better, we are ready for a summit attempt!
donderdag 3 september 2009
ABC (5100m)
With a sunny start of the day, we now have heavy rains. Here, in ABC, there are some hailstorms too. The previous days have brought us a lot of rain, and now it's colder and with more winds. Still, we have rested from our acclimatisation and today we arrived in ABC with all our gear. Tomorrow we will stay here and inspect the wall from up close! Unfortunately we have to miss the good food of Heera, and the nice LO stayed in BC too.
zondag 30 augustus 2009
Monsoon
Op de foto's: links vaste kok Heera die voor het lekkere eten zorgt. Rechts, Michelin-jas-kok Cas die hier (2007 Kalanka BC) voor de hamburgers zorgt.
donderdag 27 augustus 2009
Onbeklommen top
Today we want to climb an unclimbed summit in order to acclimatize further. It will probably take us 2 to 3 days. We want to climb to 5400m today, and climb higher tomorrow. The last days we acclimatized on the mountain behind BC, and we have been resting from that in BC. All went well; we're healthy, the weather stays instable (two days bad and much rain and today very beautiful) and it's still good with the three of us.
woensdag 26 augustus 2009
5600 meter
Yesterday we reached 5600m. and today we're in BC again. Here we will rest until Friday, after which we will go back up. There are still two tents on the mountain which we can use. Here's it's super'gezellig'! The weather is instable; today allright, yesterday cloudy and tonight rain, but luckily not much wind.
maandag 24 augustus 2009
Acclimatiseren
Today we will sleep in two tents at 5000m. During the day we will first pass this point, but at night we decent and sleep here. After this, we will repeat this pattern twice again; each time a step higher. It’s a rather simple top, and it resembles walking on a glacier, so it’s fine for acclimatization. We will not do this on Kalanka (yet), but behind our BC (which is located at 4425m.). It’s relatively quiet at BC this year as there are no other expeditions (yet). The weather is really cold, especially at night. Even though the temperature is around zero Celsius, it feels much colder because of the moist/damp. Usually clouds appear in the afternoon and they will bring some light rain. But luckily it’s not as bad as during our journey up here (Monsoon)! We still enjoy ourselves in our quiet camp (playing Yahtzee).
zondag 23 augustus 2009
Reacties
It’s so good to see your reactions. Since we’ve had some problems before, with subscribing etc., we now changed it: everyone who likes to react, can do this easily (without subscription)!
Foto impressie (2007)
Basiskamp in de sneeuw
Dragers
To have an idea of how our Kalanka BC looks like, you can look at the photos. You can see the tents in grass (or, at another time, in snow), with various mountains at the back. In order to reach BC in 2007, Cas and Mike had help from many (lady) porters, as you can see on the other photo. These and other photos of the porters were distributed to the people in Joshimath this year: a big happening with a lot of nosy people!
donderdag 20 augustus 2009
Basiskamp
After a good trip of two days by bus and partly by jeeps, we continued our journey by foot towards basecamp. We were supported by 14 horses and a high altitude porter (so no ladies this time). We arrived yesterday in basecamp where we settle ourselves. A lot of rain has fallen, but luckily the trip to BC has all been very smooth. As of now, we will be busy acclimatizing and preparing ourselves (sleeping, eating and playing chess…).
zaterdag 15 augustus 2009
Bustochtje
Today at 5 am. we drove off by bus to Srinagar, from which we will continue our journey to Joshimath. There we will stay one day in order to fix all formalities before continuing to basecamp.
vrijdag 14 augustus 2009
Delhi
We arrived according to plan in Delhi, where our cargo was also ready for us. With that and our kilos of extra luggage (sausages and hamburgers) we went to the IMF. Here we’ve met our LO and our former LO (at the time, during our Thalay Sagar expedition), mister Yogi. After we’ve arranged all formalities in Delhi, we will head to Joshimath tomorrow morning, by bus.
zaterdag 8 augustus 2009
Welkom
Om een beetje op te warmen alvast een filmpje van twee jaar geleden toen een poging van Cas en Mike niet succesvol was.
Ter voorbereiding is er afgelopen winter en voorjaar veel ijs geklommen op o.a. de Piz Cambrena, Mont Dolent en Piz Palu. Hoewel het weer niet altijd meezat hebben we toch aardig wat klimmeters samen kunnen maken.
Piz Cambrena, januari 2009
Welcome to the weblog of the Dutch Kalanka Expedition 2009. Half of August Mike, Cas and Martijn will head to the Garhwal Himalayas in northern India with the aim to climb Kalanka (6931m.). Via our blog we try to keep you posted on our journey. To warm up a little, you can see the movie that Cas and Mike made in 2007 when they had to cancel the summit attempt.Preparing ourselves for this year, we have climbed a lot of ice this winter and spring, such as Piz Cambrena, Mont Dolent and Piz Palu. Even though the weather was not always on our side, we were able to make some good climbing metres together!